Thursday, February 22, 2007

Snowfest '07: Friday Night in CU

I hooked up with Ryan, Joe, Chris, Amber and Jen at Whitehorse in Champaign. It might have been 20 years since my last visit there. They had decent vodka and draft beer specials. We hung for a bit and I tried to convince my buddy Lucas to join us, but he had to work late unexpectedly and couldn't make it.

The highlight of the White Horse stop was watching Chris rip into a basket of wings like a starving wolverine who just stumbled on an elk carcass. It was a sight to behold and surpassed only by Jen and Amber's attempts to clean him up like a little kid - wiping his mouth and greasy fingers. Awesometastic!

I thought for sure I'd get to see them make out! But alas, no.

Chris throwin' signs. Or something.

After White Horse we headed downtown to Jupiters. I had never been to these (relatively) new bars and was pretty impressed. Decent pool tables, great beer selection (including Stella on tap!), nice looking servers and we managed to snag a table by the front door. The front door table turned out to be a lot of fun as Champaign has implemented a no indoor smoking rule and there was always at least one smoker standing right outside the window, huddled under the heat lamp. We got these guys to pose, snapped their pics and even went outside to harass or hang out with them.

Random smoker dude outside the window.

Ryan braves the cold for a smoke.

We were joined at Jupiters by Andrew, Seth & Dan and Jen broke out the cards for a game of Hi-Lo. The cards were a hit and we had a lot of fun,except for Chris who proclaimed he didn't play card games. He did, however, join in the pic fun as everyone took a took on the cameras.

Chris is playing coy!

Hong Kong Phooey! a.k.a Andrew

Paignfull with the Tuscy imitation! *fingerguns*

Aaahhhh, dude! You should have said, "Lower!" Drink 17!

Dan gives a confused Ryan a little advice about the ladies.

Ryan and I snuck off for a couple shots of tequila and then we rounded everybody up to head over to Guido's. Guido's was another contemporary bar I had never been to and it had a decent crowd and two levels. We rolled down the stairs and settled in. Amber snuck off to go pass out for the night and Joe was screwing around and ended up flat on his back. Good times! Chris ran into several people he knew as did Ryan.

theryan = PWN3D by the old guy!!

At 6' 7" Seth consumes mass quantities and wrests the galoot title away from TIT.

Joe is a bad influence on me - and everyone else around him!

JayD = smoooooooove!

After a bit, I reminded myself that I was supposed to be saving myself for the Saturday night bash and I slipped away, told Ryan that I was taking off and headed for the parking lot. It was here that my night took a little twist. It had been snowing all evening and the temperature had risen. I hadn't experienced snow in a decade so I decided that instead of going home, I'd take a little walk in the snow and take some more pics.

I ended up walking around for an hour. The pics aren't high quality as I had my camera set to a lower resolution so I could take a ton of pics, but they suited my purposes. And you can't tell by the pics, but it snowed hard the entire time I was out. The walk in the snow ended up being one of the highlights of the trip. I was completely comfortable in the cold and it was great to walk around enjoy the snow and see the changes that have taken place downtown over the past 10 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home