Friday, February 23, 2007

Snowfest '07: Local 420

Saturday morning in Tuscola was brisk and clear. I had some errands to run around town and was killing time while waiting to have lunch with an old homey. I ended up taking a lot of pics around town to share with my kids and L.A. It made me pretty homesick, but it was bittersweet and ultimately I'm glad I got to refresh my memory bank. Here are some of the Tuscola pics I took Saturday morning.


This is the house I grew up in. Someday
I'm going to buy this place and move back in.


The courthouse. I spent a lot of hours here as a reporter. It's also the home of the B.F. Reed GAR Post (which is a story for another day).


The library. I was granted my first library card here in 1973 when I was 6. The first book I checked out was Call of the Wild.


This is Festival Plaza downtown. This lot used to house The Douglas Hotel - a historic building that burned down in the late '70s. I was there along with the rest of the town watching it burn.


I've climbed to the top of this sumbitch with a bottle of tequila several times.


This was Gus's Kandy Kitchen when I was a kid. His progeny have restored it and now it's Flesor's Kandy Kitchen. Very cool place.

After a while of pic taking, I headed over to pick up my buddy Gerrod. Gerrod is an amazing dude and I make sure I get at least a few hours with him every time I'm home. Whenever he comes to Florida to visit his brother, we get together to drink beer and do some night fishing.

Our plan for Saturday afternoon was to dart over to Atwood and watch a couple of our buds, Spike and the Riddler. play in their band practice. The band is called Local 420 and it was a special event as it was Riddler's fiance's birthday, the drummer's birthday and the rhythm guitarist's anniversary, all that weekend. Riddler's fiance, Bev, put together a spread of Italian beef, stuffed mushrooms, hot wings and a bunch of other goodies and desserts.

It was also the first time I had ever seen Spike Man sing. Had no idea the dude could sing. But it turned, dude could really wail! I was impressed. The band was set up in Riddlers basement and the buffet downstairs was almost as sweet as the buffet upstairs. There was a half dozen different types of beers, Sangria, whiskey and lots of smoke.

Gerrod and I grabbed a beer and a plate full of food and settled in to watch the show along with old friends Rich and Cowboy. I was really impressed. Over the years, Riddler has evolved into an accomplished guitarist and songwriter and he's assembled some really talented guys around him. The next time I'm home, I hope to be watching them in a decent bar venue and getting suitably rowdy and hammered.

This is Local 420.




The Riddler. Aint none other! Check out the guitar.



Spike. Who knew the dude could wail?


Ridds cops a cheap feel!


Dirty Dave!


Kelso & Chris.


.00far It's a Tuscola thang.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home